The Basilica was built from 1717 to 1731 for Victor Amadeus II of Savoy, designed by Filippo Juvarra, at the top of the hill of Superga. This fulfilled a vow the duke (and future King of Sardinia) had made during the Battle of Turin, after defeating the besieging French army within the War of the Spanish Succession. The architect alluded to earlier styles while adding a baroque touch. The church contains the tombs of many princes and kings of the House of Savoy, including the Monument to Carlo Emanuele III (1733) by Ignazio Collino and his brother Filippo. Under the church are the tombs of the Savoy family, including most of its members (among them, Charles Albert).
The Royal Crypt of Superga is the burial place of the Savoy family.
The history of the church can be traced to September 2, 1706, when Duke Victor Amadeus II of Savoy and the Prince of Carignano, Eugene of Savoy climbed the hill to see Turin besieged by Franco-Spanish forces during the War of the Spanish Succession. Victor Amadeus, having knelt down in front of an old prop, swore that, in case of victory, he would have a monument built to our Lady (the Virgin Mary). From dawn until the early hours of the afternoon of September 7 the armies clashed in the fields at Jaya and Madonna di Campagna. Piedmontese armies achieved victory over the French. The entrance of the basilica with its portico supported by eight columns. Vittorio Amedeo was crowned King of Sicily. He entrusted the design of this building to Filippo Juvarra.
The mountain at which the Basilica is found was the site of the Superga air disaster of Grande Torino football team in 1949.
( Texts quoted from : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Superga )